The Advanced Textile Products (ATP) Student Design Challenge is open until May 15 and invites students to submit projects to this annual competition. The Challenge was established to encourage college and university students of design, textiles engineering and allied curricula to solve safety and protection problems by using technical textiles and narrow fabrics in functional designs.
Students must create an original design and prototype for a safety product which will protect bodies or property from hazardous conditions. These conditions include, but are not limited to, extreme hot or cold temperature; impact; chemical or biological exposure; poor visibility; fall protection. Medical or healthcare applications are permitted.
Projects with a primary purpose of general wearing comfort or protection from environmental conditions will not be accepted. Projects must incorporate a textile component as a major part of the product.
Entrants must be enrolled in post-secondary textiles, apparel, engineering or design programs in colleges or universities. More than one entry per student is allowed. Team entries are also permitted. Mentoring by IFAI member companies may be available upon request.
The project description should include:
- Written product/design specifications
- How the project achieves its purpose
- Why the product/space was designed
- Evidence showing that this is an original design
- Anything unique or complex about the project which may not be evident in the photographs or specifications
- References or materials cited
- The attributes or advantages fabric provides that other options did not
- What makes fabric a preferred choice over other materials.
First place winners will be awarded a $500 cash prize to a student or $1,500 to a team of three or more students; presentation of the project at IFAI Expo events; complimentary registration to IFAI Expo; complimentary travel expenses to attend IFAI Expo; coverage in IFAI and division publications and on websites.
ATP is a division of the Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI). To enter, visit https://www.ifai.com/student-design-challenge/form.